Friday, September 10, 2010

Sewing

I received the rest of my fabric that i had been waiting for which was a relief as i was starting to worry! I bought some navy silk dye and was excited to experiment when i got home. I sewed the last two bodices in the fabric that i had received over the week end. I then cut out the casings for the two bodices and pressed them in half so they were ready to be sewn to the bodices. I pattern made some bias strips for the binding about 3.8cm wide. I cut out the rosa pink satin fabric for the binding first as i wanted to insert the cups and get started on the beading. After binding the centre fronts of the three rosa pink bodices i sewed the cups in.

I came across a dilemma...again! After sewing the cups in i noticed they sat funny on the mannequin. The cups fall forward and I'm worried that the models breasts might fall out as they are walking down the catwalk. I had to make some decisions so i decided that i would bind all the way across the front which would form a shape across the centre front. I thought this would be the best outcome as each bodice would have a different shape across the centre front.

I then started sewing the casings onto the champagne eggnog bodices so they were ready to have the cups sewn into the two bodices.

I had completed some silk dyes with the navy blue dye and i wasn't sure about the colour or even how it was going to look on the skirt itself. I needed to decided quickly so i matched the piece of silk i had dyed, pinned it to the skirt and fit it to the mannequin, then pinned the bodices over top to how it would look if someone were to wear it. It looked black behind the bodice and a couple of my friends said that it would look better all in the one fabric. I was happy about the decision that i made and acted quickly to finish the skirt. I cut out the waist bands and started sewing them together. Everything was going smoothly, i had sewn in my zip and was about to attach my lining to the skirt when i went to ask my lecturer on a method i was about to perform. My lecturer looked at the skirt and then told me that i had forgotten to fuse my waistband! I had to unpick the whole waistband, and part of the zip, and cut out another whole waistband and not forget to fuse it! I went on to sew the waistband again, sew one side to the skirt and the other to the lining. I sewed my zip back together and then bagged out the corners of the waistband and both the zip and the top of the waistband lined up perfectly! I had planned arrange my photo shoot on Monday so I'm beading the bodice which i want to be shot in the photo over the week end.

No comments:

Post a Comment