Monday, August 9, 2010

Skirts, Skirts, Skirts!

I began today laying my patterns out to cut and toile the next skirt which looked a little complicated as the wings and the smocking pieces were sewn at the same time so i had to make sure that i pinned the seams securely. When i had sewn the skirt together i wasn't as impressed with the outcome like i was with the other skirts. I think i was a bit disappointed with how the wings sat on the skirt as they didn't sit up as i thought they would have. I then i realised that when they have fusing and shape well in the wings that they would sit up better because they would be more structured on the inside. What made it even better was that my lovely friends Petricia and Vanessa said that it looked wonderful so i took there word for it and hoped they weren't lying haha :P



I then had to make the skirt that draped over the top which attached around the waist. I wanted the skirt to flow behind when someone walked in it which meant i would have to make a full circle skirt pattern however, the length of my skirt would not fit on the width of the fabric so i would have to cut 2 half circle skirts which would be sewn at the side seams to get the fullness of a full circle skirt. This was a very easy pattern to make and toile, the only difficult thing was cutting the pattern out on Georgette as its so slippery! My lecturer then advised me to sew french seams because they are more appropriate finish of garments that are sheer.



I designed this skirt to also be worn as a cape or a shawl. I wanted something that could be worn different ways and because I'm using a sheer fabric i thought this would look absolutely beautiful if worn both ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment